Thursday, June 12, 2014

The problem with packing...

I am a chronic over-packer. You know the girl that leaves for a weekend trip with three suitcases and a backpack? Yeah, that's me! Usually it's not a big deal. With our American Airlines member status, I can bring two checked bags of 50lbs each and a carry-on for free, allowing me to effectively bring over 100lbs of my stuff with me without much hassle. However, the horrid thought of hauling two gargantuan pieces of luggage onto trains, and through crowded city streets during the humid China summer is enough to make me adopt a new packing mantra. 'Pack Light' is the name of the game now.

I looked at a lot of different luggage options, but settled on a travel pack instead of a duffle or roller bag. After reading tons of reviews and sifting through the available products, I bought the Osprey Farpoint 70 Travel Pack (http://www.rei.com/product/803309/osprey-farpoint-70-travel-pack)
I loved that there was a zip-on daypack that attached to the main bag, and the size was manageable for me. I actually started out with the 55L Farpoint, but realized that I'm not that much of a packing ninja yet, and went for the next size up. Below are some pics of the Farpoint:


The daypack:




The main pack by itself:





Both packs together:



Based on suggestions from other travelers, I also bought a set of packing cubes from E-bags (found on www.amazon.com) to keep everything organized. 

Here's what I packed:


It is interesting to note that the packing cubes helped me fit quite a bit more than I thought possible into my pack. In three of the medium cubes I was able to fit 11 shirts, jeans, 3 pairs of shorts, two skirts, and a swimsuit. Not too shabby!

The heaviest thing in my pack? A three-month supply of hair mousse! All the guidebooks I read said that this particular product is near impossible to find in China, so I wasn't taking any chances!

Here's everything packed away:


Less than 48 hours to go!!! I can't wait!

再见

Sara




No comments:

Post a Comment